Soroptimist International of Winnipeg is part of Soroptimist International – an organization of women who work to improve the lives of women and girls, in local communities and throughout the world. Almost 95,000 Soroptimists in about 120 countries and territories contribute time and financial support to community–based and international projects that benefit women and girls. The organization is particularly concerned with providing women and girls access to education, as this is the most effective path to self-determination.
For over 70 years, Soroptimist International of Winnipeg has been committed to improving the lives of women and girls locally, nationally and internationally. The name Soroptimist means “best for women.” Soroptimists are women at their best helping other women to be their best. We are mothers, sisters, nieces and neighbours who care about our community and advocate for those who cannot. We come together each month to make a difference in the lives of others. Our meetings are full of laughter, camaraderie and fun and accompanied by food.
Together we share our time, talents and fundraising efforts to:
- Improve the lives of women and girls
- Help women achieve economic and political equality
- Serve as a global voice for women
- Provide outstanding leadership development opportunities for women
- Support women through our awards program, including the Women Helping Women and Live Your Dream Awards